PRC’s Fall Workshops!
Fall is the perfect time to hit the books and learn new skills. Join PRC for a Conservation Workshop to learn how to conserve water with a rain barrel, turn leaves and food scraps into valuable compost or avoid exposure to common chemicals, carcinogens and toxins in the environment. Check the schedule below to find a workshop that works for you!
- Tuesday, September 12, 7 – 8:30 p.m., Phipps Garden Center
- Thursday, September 28, 6:30 – 8 p.m., Glenolden Borough Hall
- Wednesday, October 25, 6:30 – 8 p.m., Haverford township Municipal Building
Discover how to harvest rainwater from your roof, store it in a barrel and use it in the landscape. Learn about problems associated with stormwater runoff, ways to conserve water in your home, and techniques to reduce your contribution to watershed pollution.
Course fee includes 90 minutes of instruction plus an easy-to-install rain barrel. Click on the event links above to find more information about pricing and barrels. Pre-registration is required.
- Wednesday, September 6, 7 – 8:30 p.m., Phipps Garden Center
- Saturday, September 9, 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Ross Township Community Center
- Tuesday, September 19, 6:30 – 8 p.m, North Park Rose Barn
- Wednesday, Sptember 20, 6:30 – 8 p.m. at the Ann Jones Gerace Center
- Wednesday, September 27, 6:30 – 8 p.m., South Park Buffalo Inn
- Saturday, September 30, 10:30 a.m. – Noon, Lauri Ann West Community Center
Learn to turn kitchen scraps – as well as leaves, garden and yard debris – into a natural homemade compost for your lawns and gardens. You’ll receive a composting bin at class.
This workshop thoroughly covers the importance and benefits of composting, including the overall process, methods for setting up a compost pile, proper maintenance and ways to use finished compost. Participants receive a FreeGarden EARTH Compost Bin, which features an 82-gallon capacity ideal for both urban and suburban settings.
Cost: $70 per person ($75 per couple) and includes a composting bin. Pre-registration is required.
- Wednesday, October 4, 6:30 – 8 p.m., North Park Rose Barn
- Wednesday, October 11, 6:30 – 8 p.m., South Park Buffalo Inn
- Saturday, October 14, 10:30 a.m. – noon, Lauri Ann West Community Center
- Saturday, October 21, 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Ross Township Community Center
- Wednesday, October 25, 6:30 – 8 p.m., Ann Jones Gerace Center
Not sure what to do with your kitchen, garden and yard scraps? Turn them into a natural fertilizer without the outside compost bin through vermicomposting! PRC’s Vermicomposting Workshop.
This workshop will cover the benefits and importance of composting; all participants will go home with a complete, ready-to-use vermiculture system, knowing how to house, feed, harvest and care for your own worms!
Cost: $70 per person ($75 per couple) and includes one worm composting box with worms. Pre-registration is required.