Have a Sustainable Spring!
Punxsutawny Phil called for six more weeks of winter, but Spring is nearly here. Be ready with these tips for a truly green spring!
- Keep it simple: Many popular cleaning products contain harsh chemicals that can adversely affect your indoor air quality and lead to health issues. Try buying green products or making your own.
- Declutter Responsibility: As you pile up the good from your house that you no longer need or want, try to avoid throwing away useful items. Many items can be sold, donated, or repurposed. PRC accepts a large number of materials for recycling and responsible disposal, ranging from paints and auto fluids to televisions and tires. Find the appropriate Collection Event for your materials here.
- Get Involved: Spring is a populate time for community recycling or rain garden event! PRC hosts a number throughout the spring and summer. Click here for more information about PRC volunteer opportunities. If you can’t find an event near you, grab a garbage bag, some gloves, and some friends and take an initiative to keep your community clean.
Picnics and Parties
- Zero Waste Packing: Spring is a great time for picnics and parties. Skip the disposables and make sure to pack up your picnic foods in reusable and sustainable containers. If you’re hosting a party consider reusable or compostable plates, cups, and utensils.
- Good Green Fun: While balloons are undeniably festive, they are also only fun for a short time and remain in the environment for up to four years. Skip the balloons and enjoy nature’s decorations.
- Buy Local: With farmers markets all across PA, try to support your local farms by purchasing fresh and delicious produce for your next spring picnic. Find a farmers market near you here.
- Leave No Trace: Get out and enjoy nature, but remember to take care of it, too. Make sure to take with you and properly dispose of any trash you generate on your adventures.
- Harvest at Home: Go green at home with a garden! Plant fruits and vegetables and grow your own produce or pick native species to create your own rain garden! PRC hosts workshops to help get you started with rainwater harvesting, composting, and rain gardens!
- Skip the Bus: With warmer weather on the way, grab some fresh air and try biking to get you were you need to go.