What to Expect at a Hard to Recycle Collection
Every Year PRC holds a number of Hard-to-Recycle Collection events in order to provide residents with a responsible means of disposing of e-waste. We partner with eLoop, a BAN e-Stewards Certified Recycler, to ensure electronics are recycled properly. At these events, residents have opportunity to dispose of freon appliances, tires, polystyrene packaging material (or Styrofoam blocks) and nearly any electronic. By knowing what to expect at our events, you play a part in ensuring the event proceeds as efficiently and safely as possible.
What to Expect
- Our events are very popular, so you will likely see a line of cars waiting to be unloaded.
- While in line, one of our volunteers will ask what items you have to drop off and then will direct you one of our drop off lanes.
- Another volunteer will ask you a few survey questions to help us better future programs. Provide the volunteer with your email to learn about other recycling resources!
- When it’s your turn, our team will unload your vehicle.
- You can rest assured that any device you bring containting personal data, such as a laptop or cell phone will not pose a security risk. All devices containing personal data are cleaned via Department of Defense standards.
- You will be given a receipt with a list of all of the items you dropped off. Present this receipt at our pay station prior to leaving, so you can pay any of the associated fees. (Find a complete list of accepted materials and their associated fees here.)
- After paying, proceed to feel good for responsible disposing of your e-waste and be sure to check-in for future events.
- Be patient – Our events are usually very well attended, which means you will likely have to wait in line. Our team is working as quickly as possible to unload materials from participants cars, while being safe and responsible.
- Do not get out of your car – PRC takes care of all the unloading. It actually helps everyone go faster and keeps both you and our team safer if you stay in your car
- Pack your vehicle with unloading in mind – Try to keep everything in your trunk or otherwise easily accessible. Try to only have items you wish to drop off in your trunk or be very clear if you do have items you wish to keep.
- Look over our fees – Some items are difficult and expensive to recycle. While we try to keep our fees as low as possible, they are necessary to ensure we can continue to offer this service. To find out if an item you wish to drop off includes a fee, click here.
- Bring cash if possible – We accept all forms of payment (cash, credit, or check), but cash transaction are the fastest.
- Do not bring unaccepted items – At this event, we can NOT accept household chemicals. Please double check our accepted items here to insure we can accept everything you bring.
Not sure if your item will be accepted? Feel free to contact us if you would like to double check!