Go Green with a Conservation Workshop!
Posted by: Mary Kate Ranii on March 13, 2018
PRC has announced its Spring 2018 schedule of workshops to take place in Allegheny County. To register for a PRC workshop, visit www.prc.org/programs or call 412-488-7490 x226.
BACKYARD COMPOSTING WORKSHOPS
- Friday, April 13, from 7 – 8:30 p.m., Blueberry Hill Park, Franklin Park Borough
- Wednesday, April 18, from 7 – 8:30 p.m., Ross Township Municipal Building
- Saturday, April 21, from 10:30 a.m. – Noon, Construction Junction, Point Breeze
- Sunday, April 22, from Noon – 1:15 p.m., Squirrel Hill Rehab as part of the Squirrel Hill Earth Day Celebration
- Wednesday, May 9, from 6:30 – 8 p.m., South Park Buffalo Inn, South Park Township
- Thursday, May 17, from 6:30 – 8 p.m., Humane Animal Rescue, East End of Pittsburgh (Composting and Wildlife Gardening Workshop held in collaboration with Humane Animal Rescue)
- Saturday, May 19, from 10:30 a.m. – Noon, Lauri Ann West Community Center, O’Hara Township
- Friday, May 22, from 7 – 8:30 p.m., Mt. Lebanon Library, Mt. Lebanon Township
- Saturday, May 30, from 6:30 – 8 p.m., North Park Rose Barn, McCandless Township
- Thursday, June 21, from 7 – 8:30 p.m., Phipps Garden Center, Mellon Park, Shadyside
Learn to turn kitchen scraps – as well as leaves, garden and yard debris – into a natural homemade compost for your lawns and gardens. You’ll receive a composting bin at class.
This workshop thoroughly covers the importance and benefits of composting, including the overall process, methods for setting up a compost pile, proper maintenance and ways to use finished compost. Participants receive a FreeGarden EARTH Compost Bin, which features an 82-gallon capacity ideal for both urban and suburban settings.
Cost: $70 per person ($75 per couple) and includes a composting bin. Pre-registration is required. Click here to register.
Compost in your backyard!
FreeGarden Earth Bin
WATERSHED AWARENESS/RAIN BARREL WORKSHOPS
- Friday, March 30, 7 – 8:30 p.m., Blueberry Hill Park, Franklin Park Borough
- Wednesday, April 11, 7 – 8:30 p.m., Phipps Garden Center, Mellon Park, Shadyside
- Saturday, April 14, 10:30 a.m. – Noon, Lauri Ann West Community Center, O’Hara Township
- Monday, April 16, 7 – 8:30 p.m., Ross Community Center, Ross Township
- Tuesday, April 17, 7 – 8:30 p.m., Mt. Lebanon Library, Mt. Lebanon Township
- Thursday, April 26, 6:30 – 8 p.m., South Park Buffalo Inn, South Park Township
- Monday, April 30, 6:30 – 8 p.m., North Park Rose Barn, McCandless Township
- Thursday, June 14, 7 – 8:30 p.m., Phipps Garden Center, Mellon Park, Shadyside
Discover how to harvest rainwater from your roof, store it in a barrel, and use it in the landscape. Learn about local watersheds and how the way that we live affects the quality of water in our rivers and streams. The workshop addresses methods of stormwater management, and techniques to reduce your contribution to watershed pollution.
Course fee includes 90 minutes of instruction plus a FreeGarden RAIN 55-gallon easy-to-install rain barrel.
Cost: $80 per person ($85 per couple) and includes one rain barrel. Pre-registration is required. Click here to register.
Newly installed rain barrel
- Sunday, March 25, 1 – 2:30 p.m., Ross Community Center, Ross Township
Turn your kitchen scraps into natural, homemade fertilizer through Vermicomposting! Vermicomposting utilizes worms to create castings, which are considered an especially rich soil amendment and nutrient source. If sheltered from the cold a worm box can maintain production year-round!
Participants will go home with a complete, ready-to-use vermiculture system, knowing how to house, feed, harvest, and care for your own worms!
Email email@example.com or call (412) 488-7490 ext. 226 for more information.
We order worms one week prior to the workshop date. Therefore, registration for these workshops will close a week before the class date.
Cost: $70 single/ $75 couple and includes one compost box with worms.
Turn Kitchen Scraps into Compost
Finished Worm Castings
Creating Vermicompost System