Celebrate the Season with a Workshop!
Posted by: Mary Kate Ranii on July 11, 2018
PRC has announced its Summer and Fall 2018 schedule of workshops to take place in Allegheny County. To register for a PRC workshop, visit www.prc.org/programs or call 412-488-7490 x226.
BACKYARD COMPOSTING WORKSHOPS
- Wednesday, September 5, from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m., North Park Rose Barn, McCandless Township
- Saturday, September 8, from 12:30 – 2:00 p.m., Ross Community Center, Ross Township
- Tuesday, September 11, from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m., Phipps Garden Center, Mellon Park, Shadyside
- Wednesday, September 19, from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m., South Park Home Economics Building, South Park Township
Learn to turn kitchen scraps – as well as leaves, garden and yard debris – into a natural homemade compost for your lawns and gardens. You’ll receive a composting bin at class.
This workshop thoroughly covers the importance and benefits of composting, including the overall process, methods for setting up a compost pile, proper maintenance and ways to use finished compost. Participants receive a FreeGarden EARTH Compost Bin, which features an 82-gallon capacity ideal for both urban and suburban settings.
Cost: $70 per person ($75 per couple) and includes a composting bin. Pre-registration is required. Click here to register.
Compost in your backyard!
FreeGarden Earth Bin
WATERSHED AWARENESS/RAIN BARREL WORKSHOPS
- Monday, July 23, 7 – 8:30 p.m., Upper St Clair Library, Upper St Clair Township
- Thursday, September 27, 7 – 8:30 p.m., Phipps Garden Center, Mellon Park, Shadyside
Discover how to harvest rainwater from your roof, store it in a barrel, and use it in the landscape. Learn about local watersheds and how the way that we live on the land affects the quality of water in our rivers and streams. The workshop addresses methods of stormwater management and techniques to reduce your contribution to watershed pollution.
Course fee includes 90 minutes of instruction plus a FreeGarden RAIN 55-gallon easy-to-install rain barrel.
Cost: $80 per person ($85 per couple) and includes one rain barrel. Pre-registration is required. Click here to register.
Newly installed rain barrel
- Saturday, October 13, 12:30 – 2:00 p.m., Ross Community Center, Ross Township
- Tuesday, November 6, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m., North Park Rose Barn, McCandless Township
- Wednesday, November 14, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m., South Park Buffalo Inn, South Park Township
Turn your kitchen scraps into natural, homemade fertilizer through Vermicomposting! Vermicomposting utilizes worms to create castings, which are considered an especially rich soil amendment and nutrient source. If sheltered from the cold a worm box can maintain production year-round!
Participants will go home with a complete, ready-to-use vermiculture system, knowing how to house, feed, harvest, and care for your own worms!
Email email@example.com or call (412) 488-7490 ext. 226 for more information.
We order worms one week prior to the workshop date. Therefore, registration for these workshops will close a week before the class date.
Cost: $70 single/ $75 couple and includes one compost box with worms.
Turn Kitchen Scraps into Compost
Finished Worm Castings
Creating Vermicompost System