HARD-TO-RECYCLE COLLECTIONS LAUNCH MAY 22
PRC will launch its 2021 HARD-TO-RECYCLE COLLECTION campaign by hosting an event at Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, Frazer Township, on Saturday, May 22, from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Throughout the spring, summer and fall, six hard-to-recycle collections held in partnership with the Allegheny County Health Department will enable individuals to responsibly recycle a wide variety of items not accepted in curbside collection.
Participants will pay a fee to dispose of some materials (such as televisions and tires) while other items (such as cell phones and computer towers) will be accepted for free.
- For a fee, individuals can drop off televisions and computer monitors, printers, fluorescent tubes, small Freon appliances and tires (with and without rims).
- At no cost, individuals can drop off cell/home phones, computer towers and peripheral equipment (keyboards, laptops, mice, etc.), expanded polystyrene packaging material, microwave ovens, video game consoles/DVD players and glass bottles, jugs and jars.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, PRC will incorporate safety measures including an advance registration system in 2021. Registration will open for each event one month in advance.
“Again this year PRC is integrating procedures including advance registration and on-site logistics to reduce the number of interactions occurring between event participants and staff to promote safety,” according to PRC Interim Managing Director Sarah Alessio Shea. “To streamline the process at our events, we’re asking participants to wear face coverings and stay in their vehicles while the contractor unloads the materials. When preparing to attend one of these collections, participants should place all materials in their car trunks or truck beds.”
CLICK HERE for event information – including a complete list of items accepted and associated costs.
2021 HARD-TO-RECYCLE COLLECTION SCHEDULE
all events take place in Allegheny County
Saturdays 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- May 22 – Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, Frazer Township
- July 10 – Quaker Valley High School, Leetsdale
- July 31 – La Roche University, McCandless
- August 21 – Next Tier Connect @ Pittsburgh East, Monroeville
- August 28 – Bethel Park High School
- October 2 – Settlers Cabin Park
Participants must register in advance at www.prc.org/HTRregistration or by calling 412-488-7490 x3. Registration for each event opens one month in advance.
The 2021 PRC hard-to-recycle collection campaign is sponsored by Allegheny County Health Department, Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania, Colcom Foundation, Frazer Township, LANXESS, Pennsylvania American Water, and 100.1 FM and AM 1020 KDKA.