PRC HONORS 18 ORGANIZATIONS AS ENVIRONMENTAL LEADERS BY PRESENTING “ZERO WASTE” AWARDS
At a February 22 reception held at Construction Junction, PRC presented its third annual Zero Waste Events and Business Awards to 18 environmental leaders in recognition of their commitment to adopting sustainable environmental practices and diverting waste through recycling, composting and reuse.
“PRC’s Zero Waste Pennsylvania program provides special events, commercial businesses and institutions with vital waste reduction assistance,” said PRC Western Regional Director Justin Stockdale. “We’re pleased to recognize the accomplishments of those committed to preserving the environment, and we applaud the efforts of this year’s class of honorees for their outstanding leadership, innovation and dedication.”
In 2017, PRC’s Zero Waste team assisted dozens of events, businesses and institutions with sustainable waste management solutions. Last year, Zero Waste efforts diverted 46 tons of materials to be recycled/composted and reached nearly 600,000 individuals directly and indirectly through waste audits as well as public and private zero waste services.
“Our Zero Waste team members provide technical expertise and hands-on assistance to enable a wide variety of organizations to pursue the ultimate goal of producing zero waste,” said Stockdale. “Each year many successful partnerships result in diverting tons of material to become valuable compost and recycled products.”
At the awards ceremony/celebration, the 18 honored events and businesses received recognition of their commitment to zero waste principles and Kathy Hrabovsky, Sustainability Manager for Allegheny County’s Department of Facilities Management, served as keynote speaker. Event sponsors were Giant Eagle, Sterling Events, Zero Fossil Energy Outfitters and Construction Junction.
2017 Zero Waste Award recipients:
Recognizing events/institutions that diverted a significant percentage of waste in 2017
(90% or more waste diversion)
- Bounty at Boyce Mayview Park Fall Fest – Township of Upper St. Clair
- Dick’s Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon – Pittsburgh Three Rivers Marathon, Inc.
- Richard S. Caliguiri Great Race – City of Pittsburgh Office of Special Events
SILVER (75% – 89% waste diversion)
- Deutschtown Music Festival
- Hay Day & Family Green Fest – Allegheny County
- Kickball for a Cause – PUMP
- Mon Valley Sizzles – Sterling Events
- Steel City Big Pour – Construction Junction
BRONZE (60% – 74% waste diversion)
- Department of Facilities Management – Allegheny County Office of Sustainability
Recognizing exemplary dedication to principles of zero waste
- East End Food Co-Op
- Maple Syrup Festival – Beaver County Department of Waste Management
- UPMC Vanadium Woods Village
- U.S. Postal Service Pennsylvania District
For more information about Zero Waste Pennsylvania, click here or call 412-488-7490.